Cream of poblano soup


Two things might be useful to know. Cream of something soup usually means a regular soup finished with cream or with sour cream or the like, say, Mexican crema, it does not mean the base of the soup is cream.

For some odd reason, poblano chiles are mislabeled as pisilla by groceries in the United States, the true pisilla (dried raisin) is the dried form of a another smaller thinner red chile. 






 It was almost chicken broth. I could be vegetable broth. 



These are the chiles roasted a few days ago. Time to use them! I couldn't bear to part with them all so held a few back for something else, maybe an omelet, I don't know yet. 





The mixture is taste-tested with three additions in mind. I would like to add masa harina, a corn flour, to thicken the mixture, and I would like to add cheese. If I blend the potato then that starch will make the soup thick, I do not want that, so the potato is removed and  returned after the rest is blended. 

Because the taste is so excellent by itself and thick by itself by blending I forgo the masa harina and cheese. There is cheese on the crostini to compensate. Now with cheese and tomato, the crostini is similar to small crusty pizzas.





I like this soup a lot. The incredible flavor of poblano shines through, and separately these tomatoes are awesome. Naturally you think of tortillas, but I have my own sourdough bread around. A meal can be of this crostini, that it goes so well with this soup is two amazements at once. Considering the things I left out of it, the impulses I resisted, I believe there is a broad range of choices as to how to go about this and all of them win. 

No comments:

Blog Archive