Ceviche


An individual who I know very well is a partner in a business with another individual who I never met. The unknown party likes to go fishing all the time in Alaska. He always comes back with more fish than anyone can reasonably consume so he loads up the freezer there at the business with the expectation that the employees will make it disappear. Unfortunately, nobody there cares for seafood. 

¿

This confuses me massively. The entire sales staff refuses seafood when it's offered to them free. The partner who I know offered it to me so I came home with about 15 LBS of halibut steaks, cheeks, and a few salmon fillets, all of it freezer wrapped as they do in Alaska for convenient shipping. I don't know. I didn't weigh it. It was a lot, thrown into a shopping bag and it was quite heavy to carry. Now my freezer is filled with halibut. 

This ceviche was originally intended to use one of the halibut steaks and all of the limes that are turning old in the crisper (I'm eager to clean them all out and bleach the crisper). But then I tossed in a few shrimp and yellowfin tuna into the ceviche for variety. Then ten or so limes, three lemons, one medium onion, and the seafood which all together produced two of these quart-size mason jars of ceviche.


* 1 large halibut steak
* 2 small yellowfin tuna fillets
* 10 jumbo shrimp
* 1 medium sweet onion
* 1/2 bulb garlic broken into cloves gently crushed to open
* 10 squeezed limes
* 3 squeezed lemons
* 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
* 1/2 teaspoon whole black pepper corns. 
* water to fill the jars. 

The sauce here is soy sauce diluted with water and sugar to balance the saltiness. 

No comments:

Blog Archive