Del Frisco's, Denver






Del Frisco's steakhouse 8100 East Orchard Road, Greenwood Village, CO. 

Apologies for the poor quality photos. The only excuse I can offer is that when I am immersed in the company of my engaging companions, to be frank about it,  photography is  very low priority. There is simply too much else going on. It's bad form to devote attention to the camera anyway and then start snapping pictures like a tourist. (I am quite  easily annoyed myself when people take their attention from me in favor of their cell phones.) The light is purposefully kept low at these places and I neglected to adjust the camera's ISO  which has impressive range and could have fixed these shots right up with very little sacrifice to graininess. These photos were taken at 1.4 aperture at very slow 10 shutter speed, which means extreme shallow depth of field and extreme hazard of movement. Given all that, this is the best you're having. 

Valet parking. Cheerful employees everywhere. Obsequiously friendly attentive service, a bit over the top actually. We joked amongst ourselves about the days when people smoked. A guy would pull out a cigarette and immediately a waiter would appear seemingly from nowhere with a flick of a lighter and then just as quickly disappear into darkness. It's like that at Del Frisco's but without the cigarettes.  For one real example, a friend mentioned this dinner was actually supposed to happen the previous week to celebrate my birthday. The waitress lit up and joking asked if I would like them to bring out the sombreros and mariachi band, which of course do not exist. Realizing we were already finished and so not interested in cake right then, she offered a slice of birthday cheesecake to take home. 

The place is crowded, all tables seated,  and the air filled with conversation that is buffered by carpeting and by furnishings. One would have no sense of economic recession whatsoever if gauging by the activity Del Frisco's. 

The menu is actually very brief. 

STARTERS
CHILLED SHRIMP TASTING
CRAB CAKE
FRIED OYSTERS
FRIED CALAMARI
AHI TUNA TARTARE
DEL'S SALAD
CAESAR SALAD
TOMATOES & ONIONS SALAD
LETTUCE WEDGE
SEAFOOD SOUP
'TURTLE' SOUP

SALAD ENTREES
STEAK SALAD
CAESAR SALAD
GREEK FARMERS SALAD
CHOPPED SALAD

STEAKS & CHOPS
FILET MIGNON 8 OZ
FILET MIGNON 12 OZ
PRIME STRIP
PRIME RIBEYE 16 OZ
VEAL CHOP 16 OZ
PRIME LAMB

They also have a category called LAGNIAPPES. This puzzled me. I mentioned that I looked up this word before but the definition I found would not apply to menus where prices are listed. If I recalled correctly, the word refers to little items that are given away free as a prize or a reward for opening an account or the like. A baker's dozen as it were. A little extra something. Emphasis on gift, or free, not on a little something. But that is how they are using it there. Little extra things similar to the main things but smaller and costing less. Like things to taste. It's a pompous sounding word at any rate.

The bread is a single miniature loaf, warm, light airy crumb with delicate crust. One has to just grab it and tear it apart. Whipped butter at room temperature. Turtle soup was available, an unusual item for restaurants this far inland. I didn't have any but the people who did urged me to have a sample, but I was  satisfied to focus on finishing my own house salad. The ribeye steak that I had was outstanding. It seemed seasoned on the surface and grilled perfectly. A side of spinach was served separately that was so good that I brought home the extra. 

From where I sat ↓ within the first row of tables at the back with another row of tables perpendicular behind my chair with a space between that formed the chief high traffic avenue for the whole room. Usually I do not care for that situation but I allowed it this time because there was enough room for it not to be bothersome. 


Looking out into the room. ↑ This guy's back and head reminded me of my Dad. It was like receiving a series of little jolts. Finally I just pretended my Dad was there too at another table. 


The shelf ↑ at head level when seated to the immediate right that divides the bar area from one of the dining rooms. 

One of the Western style bonze statues placed around here and there. This one among Magnum size bottles of wine. I don't know what their purpose,  both decoration and to show you what is available I suppose.  The wine list is ridiculously extensive. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does the word turtle have quotation marks around it? Is it not real turtle?

I live in Philadelphia, and when I was young, we always had turtle soup when we out to a restaraunt (in the 70's). I don't see it much anymore, though.

Chip Ahoy said...

t-man, I do not know why they did that. A person in my party asked about the soup and they said it is real. Then I joked about it being Campbell's condensed and the waiter joked back, "No. Lipton's." The people who had it said it is great and confirmed that it is real. I wouldn't know myself, I didn't have any.

Blog Archive