Mustard seed germination









So seeds get wet and come out of the dirt really fast and I'm like a little kid all over the place. This gets me every single time.

Do you have a magnifying glass? Mine is a big one.

The seeds were moistened 8:00 PM two days ago, and this was noticed this morning, so lets say half a day. That's half a night to midnight, then one day, then half a day. So two days. I guess. Before two days because it wasn't 8:00PM on the second day. So subtract the time between morning and 8:00PM. What time of the morning? I don't know, what do I look like, a clock watcher over here? The point is it's fast. Satisfyingly fast. I mean these little seeds are sitting there in a tin waiting to be something culinary and they get planted instead. Nobody really knows how old the seeds are and yet BOING there they go, soon as they can, eager and ready to be mustard plants. It amazes me.

Watch that baby plant do a flip in slow motion. It was born on its head with its feet in the air. It's going to sink its roots and flip its head up and then immediately split its head open to quickly develop into its first leaves, dicot cotyledon, and the darling little thing does all that without any idea it is being that scientific that naturally gymnastic at the same time.

All of those tiny seeds are packed with enough energy to do this, energy that bursts out when the right conditions are met.

2 comments:

Nile said...

So, did you grow the plants? I can't tell you how addicted to your blog I have become. Photos and your stories are awesome. Thanks!

Nile said...

So, did you grow the plants? I can't tell you how addicted to your blog I have become. Photos and your stories are awesome. Thanks!

Blog Archive