Chick-Fil-A green salad, fruit salad


There aren't many cars in the parking lot. There isn't a person in sight. I park my truck in handicapped slot near the front and boom two teen males suddenly appear directly in front of my truck. One sits on the sidewalk in front of my truck's grille and the other taller teen paces. I must walk past them.

They're sizing me up. I am sizing them up. 

Apparently I look a lot worse than I feel. 

I admit that I must be a sight. Tall, using two canes for balance, my movements are measured and slow. Very slow. Achingly slow. I actually am having trouble getting my legs to cooperate. But it doesn't feel like it. It just is.

I sense the tall one hovering near me is trying to access a way to approach me for a handout but seeing me have so much difficulty walking throws him off his game. He opens the first door for me, then he opens the second door. It's a very gracious thing to do but I'm still thinking he is trying to panhandle but cannot. I place my order and he stands back still inside the restaurant. After I move on he steps forward and orders a drink and then he leaves. 

When I was done eating the two were gone. 

Am I wrong? Did I misread the whole thing? 

I kept asking myself how I could have handled that differently. 

I could have asked, "You two dudes hungry? Busted?" Depending on their answer I could have invited them in and paid for their lunch or dinner or whatever that was between those two times.  I could have invited them to sit at my table. I could have made it an introductory thing.

But instead I kept isolated. I kept up the wall. I said nothing that could have confirmed or dissuaded my reading of the situation. 

I never eat fast food. Never. Except now. A few weeks ago I went to Kentucky Fried Chicken and the exact same thing happened on the other side of town. Two dudes suddenly appeared at my truck as I drove in. At the time of day between meals when nobody else is inside. From out of nowhere and with no other people around. Then one of them helped me with the door. 

I don't need any help with doors!

But apparently I look like I do. 

No comments:

Blog Archive