Malted whole wheat bread

I showed the box and the 10 lb bag of malted wheat. I showed the Nutrimill machine.

I showed the knobs on the front of the Nutrimill machine. I showed it turned to "fine." I showed the top filled with grain. I showed the bowl of the Nutrimill machine filled with finished milled flour.

I showed the original bag of grain reduced by a third and I showed the new bag of milled flour.

Then I mixed 1.5 cups of hot water with 1.5 teaspoons of dry yeast and 2 tablespoons of sugar into a bowl.

That would take 3 cups of flour for 100% hydration.

And that would take more flour by the handful for less hydration. Say, 60% would be okay.

Then I watched a video about how to set up the camera for its own time lapse photography.

There are a few options.

And the guy speaks with an incredibly heavy Indian accent. He is barely understandable. The rest is Nikon menus and fingers pushing every button available.

Then I set up the new Nikon 7500 on a tripod and used one of its time lapse features. By then the yeast had already proofed. The bowl was filled with foam on top of water. I missed the best bit that shows the yeast developing.

In so doing I also erased from the card all the previous photos taken.

(!)

Set up for time lapse video I let the camera run for hours as I added 1 cup of whole wheat and 2 cups of all purpose flour for dough, then allowed it to proof, removed it from the bowl and kneaded it, then placed it into baking pan and covered it with a storage bin.

For hours.

The camera ran through three batteries.

For this:


It shows all the steps but they flash by too quickly at the beginning. I can fix it in i-movie but it takes too long to figure out how to do that just for this.

Eh, forget it. 

Better luck next time. I-movie is weird. Counterintuitive.

Here's the bread.


It tastes excellent. Malty and wheat-y. 

But it's small. I was certain 1.5 cups water would do it. And this tells me to use 2 cups of water next time for this pan. With 1/3 whole wheat. 

And that's whole wheat from my ground flour, not whole wheat from the store. 

That stuff is crap. 

You don't even know what you are getting. 

Because they separate the elements as a matter of course, then add them back again to replicate the original to varying degrees. Yes, they put back the bran, but they do not put it back to 100% because bran causes problems. 

It's a commercial term, like "steam cleaning" that doesn't actually use steam. It's just a word.

Whole wheat is just a couple of words.

The same is true when you buy whole wheat bread.

Whereas when I mill the grain myself, I know that it's all there.

This malted gain is excellent. The whole grain can be used for things other than bread. I ate it raw. It's quite easy to chew.

No comments:

Blog Archive