Meatloaf sandwich

This is outrageous meatloaf. It has everything in it; vegetables, grain, mushrooms, sauces. I kept going and going and going.

I did not photograph any of it.

This went on as the bread was rising. It was started after the bread and went into the oven before the bread.

And now my kitchen is a total mess.

One day after Jenifer just cleaned it.

GAWL!.

Let me see if I can remember:

* 1 egg
* Catsup
* Hoisin sauce
* Worcestershire sauce
* Soy sauce
* 1 large onion fried
* 3 large thick pieces of applewood bacon diced and fried with the onion. This filled a pan. All the bacon fat is included.
* 1 carrot shaved and the shavings cut into pieces. I was going to use 2 carrots but one shaved up to a huge pile.
* 1 large red bell pepper chopped finely
* 1 package of dehydrated Chinese mushrooms. This is a lot. They're squiggly with a tough center that must be cut out. And when I was done I realized that I also have dried shitaki mushrooms but those were not used because it was too late to rehydrate them.
* 1 section of Parmisiano Reggiano cheese grated finely
* 1 whole package of Saltine crackers, that's 1/4 of a box. Originally I intended to use only 1/2 a package, but I added the mushroom water and my meat mixture was too wet.
* 2 lbs. 80% grass-fed ground beef from Whole Foods. This was expensive.


Look at that.

20% fat from the 2 lbs. ground beef, and the fat from the 3 large slices of bacon. But hardly any escaped.

I expected the fat to fill the tin-foil and escape its slipshod pinched corners. But it did not.

That tells me the package of crackers absorbed the fat.

This meatloaf is extraordinary. All of those sauces, all of those flavor elements, all of those vegetables, and an entire package of mushrooms that expand quite incredibly and the water that rehydrated them. The smoked pork and its fat. Onions and garlic. An entire 1/4 box of Saltine crackers, a whole package holding the liquid and fat in. An entire red bell pepper.



The malt in this whole wheat bread is amazing. I don't think you can buy anything like this.

I'm spoiled.



Just look at all of that crap in there. I've never had meatloaf like this. I could see and feel the crackers absorbing the liquid before it was baked. It's why I doubled the intended amount. To capture the liquid and hold it. Its flavors are quite remarkable.

My dad would protest the crackers are stretching the meat but he didn't know what he was talking about.

I feel him at my shoulder as I write this.

Spooky.

The crackers hold the flavors that would spill onto the tray.

I want the fat in the hamburger. I want the fat in the bacon. I want the liquid that soaked the mushrooms.

Has my rhetorical conduplicatio convinced you? That's anaphora for you. I want, I want, I want.


No comments:

Blog Archive