Roasted tomato powder








The lady on TV said, "I suggest using a serrated knife to slice the tomato as thinly as possible," and I thought, "This woman has no idea how sharp my knives are." My chefs' knives are so sharp they'll cut you for just looking at them the wrong way. Ask me how I know. The twelve inch chef's knife actually worked better than the mandolin, and the blade on the mandolin is a razor blade.

This powder is intriguing. Four tomatoes roasted dry and ground to powder reduced to fill a two ounce herb jar. There were actually three trays of tomatoes but I'm showing only one. The powder has intense roasted tomato flavor. It occurred to me I could sneak in roasted tomato flavor where it's least expected, within hand-made noodles, for example, but then there's little point to that when I like adding whole tomatoes to everything possible anyway. I suppose the powder will be useful for roasted flavor and for those bleak moments when I find myself haplessly bereft of fresh tomatoes.

No comments:

Blog Archive