Zeps Epiq sandwich

And coleslaw




The sandwich is very good. I don't know why I don't walk over there more often.

The coleslaw is the best that I've tasted. 

The sandwich is filled to the maximum with beef and wet with melted cheese. It is a very good sandwich but rather small compared with Taste of Philly across Broadway.

The coleslaw has the distinctly sweet unexpected but welcome taste of apple. Then later the surprise of jalapeño. Psych! Just when you thought the whole thing will be sweet.

The lad working is thin and tall as Herman Munster. A bit of a mess. He walked to the back behind the cashier setup and the "done" counter to assist the cook in order preparation. So he works front at the tables and soda dispensers, center as cashier, and back as order preparer. He's all over the place whereas the cook stays put in the back.

He looks Asian. 

Except very tall. 

He returns to the front where I'm waiting. 

"What is your biggest sandwich?"

     "The chicken one. That's our most popular." 

"How tall are you?"

     "Six-four. I think." 

"Why don't you know for sure, haven't you measured yourself?"

     "Not for awhile. The last time I was measured I was 6-4." 

"You look like a regular guy who was pulled upward and stretched like taffy." 

He laughed. The idea is ridiculous.

"My mum used to mark our growth on a door jamb. But that was stupid because we moved so often. Still it was fun seeing how quickly we grew. I bet you blew your parent's minds." 

     "My dad is six-six so they were expecting it."

Oh my God. Can you imagine having a dad that tall looming all over you the whole time you're growing up?

Then outside another teen taller than myself. (I'm six feet tall.) I turn the corner and yet another teen taller than myself. Then on the sidewalk on my way home 1/2 block down the street another teen passes me who is taller than myself and I'm all what? Am I suddenly in the land of giants? Four males in a row all exceedingly tall and thin. 

I wonder where they buy pants. It must be a problem. 

Year after year, Colorado has the least percentage of obesity of all other states. And it shows. Even so, we do have a share of incredibly overweight people. Sometimes I hang out in front and watch people pass and it seems the overweight people are the majority. For an in-shape state, there sure are a lot of out of shape people. 

One time a friend was visiting from Washington D.C.. A group of ten of us were staying in various rooms in Aspen. My Washington friend was blown away. The percentage of beautifully built people is definitely not representative of the whole country. He couldn't get over it. 

But that's Aspen, not Denver. 

I asked my dad why everyone on the slopes skiing all look so gorgeous. Everyone looks like they model. What is it about skiing that attracts great looking people? Is it the parkas or what? Do people look great in ski clothes? The ski boots give them height? Does everyone look great in ski pants? If they take off their clothes would they all suddenly be ugly? 

My dad said, "It's money. Skiing takes money. They all fly in for the most part. A couple times each year. Just to go skiing. The condos are expensive, the travel expensive, the meals expensive, the gear is expensive. They have money for things like having their teeth fixed. They have money to take care of themselves." 

"Oh."

I did not know that. 

No comments:

Blog Archive