Miso soup in bonito/kombu dashi with tofu and shrimp






Let's put something red in that.

Okay.

And some shrimp.



Oh dear, the perpetual task of removing a few shrimp from the frozen block without thawing everything else.


Surprisingly cooperative like they want to be eaten.




The dashi was made previously and just sitting there in the refrigerator waiting to be used.

Oddly, the skin of the tomato is the strongest texture.

I'm sitting here gnawing it to bits with my incisors. That green stuff is pretty chewy too but that can be pulverized with molars.

I must eat the shrimp's little poop-tubes because I cooked them with the shells on so the shell's flavor will go into the broth. It does that. All very quickly. It's a tradeoff.

You could peel the shrimp and de-vein them then cook the peels like tea bags. Ten minutes steeping will transfer flavors. So much of this is like seafood tea. But I am too lazy for that extra step right now.

It's hot around here. I've got things to do.

Like nap.

I ate half of this and was finished but the rest will not be wasted. It's all cooked so lightly, just barely, it will re-heat in seconds.

Win.

Sir, if I may say, you show remarkable restraint.

     On purpose. I did.

You ignored the entire cabinet of spices.

     That was hard.

You didn't even use any soy sauce.

     I almost did.

Usually you explore with spice combinations but this time you left all that alone.

     I know, right? I don't even know what's got into me. It's like a simplicity thing going on over here.

Sidetrack: I have a story that might interest you about spreading the joy of caladiums.

No comments:

Blog Archive