Potato salad with deli ham


Yay! I have a whole sack of potatoes.

Just sitting there waiting to be turned into something great.

Yesterday a site that I visit put up a map of Idaho with text reading Montana's western border looks like Joe Biden creeping on Idaho.

Oh yeah? Well, Colorado's borders all look like straight lines.

Can you even be more arbitrary?












I am not the slightest bit hungry but I am eating this anyway.

What the heck. 

I am a lot more comfortable empty than I am full. 

But I lost twenty-six pounds in the last two months. 

So that's what, thirteen pounds a month.

Safe enough, I suppose, but within a month I am going to have to start eating a lot more, uncomfortable or not.

So having eaten this right this moment I feel great. Soon, every single internal motion will send me flying to the bathroom. It's pretty good exercise, actually. How to go from horizontal and sleeping to vertical and moving in two seconds flat. 

"So, tell us, what inspired you to become a quick-change artist?" 

     "It goes way back to this thing I picked up." 

"What did you pick up, a book?" 

     "A condition by which I must rip off my clothes fifteen times a day quickly as possible." 

"That sounds like a handy skill." 

     "You end up with clothing all over the place." 

I could have used cucumbers. I could have used zucchini. I could have a used a vinaigrette and I was thinking about cheese. I have two small sacks of Italian tomatoes. I came this close:
--->| |<---
to adding Swiss chard. I have apples and celery. I also have olives. I have a boat-load of broccoli and I even thought of adding wakame seaweed and pecans. But I kept it simple. Now see, all that combined restraint is what makes me so muh-chur. 

I love the way Japanese returned the potato salad. Fusion cuisine right there. Yoshoku. Western-influenced Japanese food that originated during the Meiji Restoration. When you look online at videos they're all exactly the same with the same techniques of salting the onions and cucumbers, then rinsing and drying them separately, the same sandwich ham, the same mayonnaise. 

"How do you guys keep it all together like that?" 

     "Oh, we live on separate islands. Everyone does it differently." 

"They look all the same to me." 

     "Honshu use 1/4 cup onion, Hokkaido use 1/2 cup onion. Honshu use 2 carrot, Kyushu use 1 carrot. Shikoku adds peas, Okinawa no peas." 

"Oh. So they're all different." 

     "Yes. Different." 

"Within their own little world."  

     "Parameters." 

No comments:

Blog Archive