Pancake with fried egg, marinated mushrooms and pecans


One egg for the pancake and one egg to fry and put on top of the pancake.


How was it? 

     It was terrible. 


When I was fifteen I never knew when I'd be hungry. Oddest hours and there I would be cooking a pancake. A big one. Made from a box of pancake mix because I thought that is how pancakes were made since ancient Egyptian times. 

I'd spread toast preserves generously over half of it then fold it in half like a sweet sandwich. 

I must have done this, oh ... I don't know ... some fifty times. Or maybe three times. It was my modus operandi for a couple of years. Or maybe it was a couple of months. 

Tonight I used a small pan and that made me think I should fill the whole pan with a pancake. Rather than a small pancake to match my appetite. Also, I started with one egg and added a little milk and that determined the amount of flour. But I added too much flour beyond normal thickness for a taller pancake. My pancake was purposefully made too thick and that turned out to be not good. It cooked poorly. Took too long on the first side. I ate only one third of it. Expensive syrup is wasted. It was a better idea than a meal. I was re-living my fifteen year old self. Now, my later self says to both of himselves, "Dudes, you ate a lot of dumb crap." 

Don't do this anymore.

Here's the thing. 

I'm not into this right now. 

Right after that earlier thing at about twenty-one, I was at dinner with a group of new friends. Spaghetti Factory. One new person remarked on my apparent eating habit. I was behind everyone else, lallygagging around while everyone else was finished. Another person remarked about people my age grabbing things to eat on the go, basically eating constantly, then another added profoundly summing it all up, "eat to live not live to eat." 

Yeah, whatevs. 

Boxed or homemade this type of pancake used to be delicious. Now it is not. 

We've seen egg on top of everything else. This is the worst of the lot. 

Egg on pasta (Carbonara, macaroni)
Egg on cornmeal. (Polenta) Very good. A favorite.
Egg on wheat bread
Egg on rice
Egg on oatmeal
Egg ravioli
Egg covered in sauce made with eggs (Eggs Benedict)

I put eggs where they don't belong, in soups in salads, in sandwiches, and this "on a pancake" is the worst idea of them all. Usually the yolk breaks and soaks in to flavor and to change everything, and this does too and I ate that part of the pancake, but it needs a dozen eggs to cover the whole thing and that is way too much so I ate the egg covered portion and wasted everything else.

My food-stylist self and my photographer self are both bitching about the food being brown all the time. They're talking about throwing in berries just to break the ... one of them said, "monotone-otany."  

No comments:

Blog Archive