Corn, and corn grits with ham and egg and cheese and jalapeño and butter and more corn

This is January 14th. How can this possibly be good? I will open one and taste it. If my taste isn't good then I will throw out all three. Homey ain't got time for lousy corn. 


That one taste was amazing. I do not know how this is done. I pondered and had another taste. Continued to ponder and had another taste. This is excellent raw. I cannot see cooking this. Unless it's to warm it up just enough to melt butter.





Oh no, it does not all fit in the bag.

What am I going to do? What am I going to do? What am I going to do? What am I going to do? 



As these golden corn kernels were being pulverized the jalapeños were cooking. We don't want raw jalapeños. 

That is 1/4 cup of corn kernels. I did not measure the powder. 

That goes with 1 full cup of purified filtered high Colorado mountain water. The kind of water they make commercials about except purified and filtered. 

With eagles flying around all over the place. 

Snatching salmon right out of the water. 

And picking through dumps for food scraps but that's different shut up. 

This corn powder sinks then continues to absorb water to form a tight wet underwater platform that does not mix very well with the remaining water. To prevent this and to ensure even water absorption the mixture is stirred every 30 seconds while pulsing in the microwave. You feel the bowl get hotter and hotter, you see the powder absorbing and you wonder if the powder really can absorb that much water, and yes, it will. 

After it boils continue pulsing to boil the corn powder for at least one minute. 


I didn't show this but it worked out well. I need the heat of the mixture out of the microwave to cook an egg. I also need the heat to completely melt a tablespoon of butter. And I need the residual heat to melt cheddar cheese. 

If the heat is used to melt butter and melt cheese then there might not be enough to cook the egg. And cooking the egg is critical. 

The butter and cheese are placed around the rim while the egg is beaten vigorously without stopping into half of the mixture, as the egg cooks blend in more of the cornmeal mixture and begin mixing in the butter and cheese. There will be just enough heat to cook the egg and then melt butter and cheese and still be a nice hot meal. 

Lastly the ham is already cooked. The corn is raw.


It's heat modulation, Baby. Total heat control.



This is much better than previous versions. Sweet. I've attained a new plateau of pulverized popcorn excellence. This is paradoxically both surprisingly light and satisfyingly filling and very good tasting. 

       

1 comment:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I love grits with fresh corn, but I am blown away you found sweet corn (that was good) off season.

I am a big fan of cheezy grits. I also like shrimp and grits with some hot pepper.

Blog Archive