Homemade fettuccine with sweet pork rib sauce

First the dough. Two bags of flour, one for bread the other semolina. One egg broken into a shallow bowl. No water. No salt. No oil. Just egg and flour. Flour mixed into egg one tablespoon at a time from both packages of flour so they stay fairly even 50%-50% without being scientific about it. The flours cut into the egg with a knife. Finally resorting to using hands and the hands feeling the dough is too wet. This goes on until the dough is fairly dry. Kneed all the flour in, seems too dry, then add scant more flour from both. The dough will seem far too dry to roll. Wrap in cellophane and wait. 

The more you wait the more destroyed your dampened flour becomes. The water molecules in the egg even themselves throughout the dough wad. They naturally separate themselves electromagnetically. Enzymes within the flour are released by egg-moisture and they begin their unlocking function. Two thousand unlocks per second. And there are millions of them. The dough softens considerably in fifteen minutes. Now the dough will be too wet to roll. Flour is added to the flattened dough to keep it from sticking to the Atlas rollers. This flour gets smashed into the noodles as they are flattened. The more you do this obviously the more flour-laden your pasta becomes and the more surface flour available in the cooking water to make a veritable paste. Thin paste, but still, this boiling water is used to thicken the sauce in another pot. 

        Ew, goodness, you’re clever. Why no photographs? 

I did already a million times. Anyway, the dough making goes here.












It is not an established thing. It does not have a name. All that I know is that it is freaking delicious. 

Oddly I have tons of cheese of different types and none of that sounds good right now. How can this pasta dish be delicious without cheese? It is a mystery.

This came up tonight because I have a second Atlas machine in its exterior mailing box with my address on it. 

It is for the boyfriend of my housekeeper whom I do not know.

She is forbidden to accept gifts. So I am doing this the Chinese way. Run the bribe through a relative as they did with Hunter, 10% to Joe off the top. As they do throughout. The thing is, She will be carrier. She will gladly accept a gift for a friend but not for herself.

And she will benefit from at least one meal of homemade pasta I expect. While I do not necessarily expect their relationship to endure. She talks about him. He accepted the machine that cuts potatoes to fries. The dude likes to cook. But they could be breaking up right now for all that I know. 

Jesus told me to do it. I am going with that. 

It is a good Atlas too. The best. With two of the most used cutters. Paid double what I paid for mine, exact same thing, fifteen years ago and it is still worth it. Double it again, still worth it. Still the best.  You should buy one. I am giving him one of the bags of semolina too because I doubt he even knows about that. None of the recipes mention it. None of them do. And that mystifies me greatly as it seems so basic. Fun da mental. Look at your package of spaghetti. It will say 100% duram wheat. This is only 50% duram wheat.  However this turns out it is a very good gift. From hereon whatever happens with this, I don't care. 

No comments:

Blog Archive