Broiled ham sandwich, white beans


Croque Monsieur, all the rage, Señor Crujido, Mister Crunchy.

Over here we say 'open face', don't ask me why we say that, where 'open' will do. It got no face.

In sign you would go "book" + "sandwich," they are similar signs, both hands are right there together, and they go together well besides. 

"Ham" + "cheese" +"sandwich" +"book" +"fire" +"slip under" [the book-sandwich you just opened, slipped under a fire] All that exceedingly graphic in sign. That's how I'd say it. I'd describe it as a movie.



I'm doing rolls the Asian way with baking powder this time added to the dough.

Oddly, baking soda does the same thing. I do not understand this, and neither does anyone else. I cannot get a straight answer anywhere. People report all kind of problems with this, adding a substance that alters the pH. The baking powder is not added for its leavening abilities, it alters the dough, makes it more elastic, more adhesive to itself. I read that it interferes with gluten but that is not my experience, the opposite, it appears to help it. The baked crumb is tender, the surface tends to bake more darkly. This technique is used for some noodles and I've seen it in recipes for steamed dumplings. 

I add CO2 directly to my aquarium for plants by yeast bubbling in a jar. The yeast feeds on sugar, 1/4 teaspoon yeast to start devours 1 cup sugar in about 20 days or so. The action is buffered with baking soda. Slowed by baking soda. More baking soda than yeast to start. Reasonably, baking soda added to dough should buffer the yeast activity there too, but it doesn't, and interfere with gluten stickiness, but it doesn't, in my experience. But I read that it does in large doses. Too much baking soda or Chinese lye-water causes the dough to seize making it impossible to stretch.  My experience is opposite to all that. Baking soda or baking powder added in conservative amounts hasn't failed to make the dough more elastic, easier to work, stickier, faster rising, stronger, less prone to break open, brown quickly when baked, allows oven rise, altogether more cooperative.

This dough rose ridiculously large, I wanted moderately substantial slider buns not overly airy hamburger buns, I preferred them small so I powdered my hands, stretched and foldled them into themselves again, started over. They did that same thing again, so I did the same thing again, these buns were shaped and rose three times but that was never my intention. 








No comments:

Blog Archive