whole-wheat sourdough bread

Bubbles well distributed throughout the starter lifting the bulk considerably indicate activity high as it gets. Although showing does little good without first showing what it started out. Sorry, take my word for it. It's bubbling like crazy and turning the bulk to foam.

Twice as many scoops of flour as water plus salt for all that. Inoculated with starter. The amount of starter, 1 Tablespoon or 1 Cup is irrelevant. It will all grow the same way.

With whole-wheat flour the precursor molecules to gluten cannot connect due to the presence of another enzyme in the bran. 

Even so, some gluten connections do form as show above by the knife stretching dough across its own surface leaving streaks indicating connections, but not enough to hold air.

Then the connections that do form are slashed by sharp edges of bran, as a bubble expanding across tiny blades. 

The dough foams and bakes as it is. Without gluten, without a skin the loaf cannot rise in the oven. 

Scratches in the pan mark the level of double size. This foam exceeded the scratches, exceeded doubling its bulk. This is the best to expect of 100% whole wheat loaves.

Three people were waiting for this loaf to finish baking, they all got very thin slices like this. So condensed a thin slice serves for a meal.

Who am I kidding? This stuff needs Black Forest ham and whole grain mustard, slices of cheese and sauerkraut, it needs lox and tomato avocado and cumin. It's going to be thin satisfying incredibly flavorful dense sandwiches around here for awhile until this loaf is gone.

Have yourself an historic loaf of bread.

[Try this. So easy Cro-Magnon did it without proper ovens. 
1/2 water : 1/2 whole wheat flour, mix and wait four days. 
Decrease and increase volume of starter by discarding half and repeating above every 12 hours.  
A few feedings a few more days and now it's going good and strong at room temperature.
1+1/2 cups water : 3 cups flour for new batch. Add salt and from 1 Tablespoon up to 1 cup of starter. The amount is actually irrelevant.
Let sit 12 hours. Bake the foam at its peak.]

No comments:

Blog Archive