Hamburger, homemade buns, orange lentils, fried napa cabbage



Masoor dal. Here is a recipe I pulled off the internet:

* onion
* margarine
* cumin
* turmeric
* clove
* cayenne
* salt
* pepper


No to margarine. What is the point? I am amazed they still make that. Anyway, do you recognize what this recipe needs?

Guess.

* Fenugreek! Of course.

I did not want all that stuff to darken the handsome orange color so originally I kept all that separate from the orange lentils but then I caved and combined them.





When these lentils soaked they looked like they have a little root that is trying to come out and you know what that makes me want to do. Plant them. 

The lentils were combined with the butter and spice mixture which could as easily been all cooked together. The lentils never actually boiled. The water boiled but not the lentils. They soaked covered while I mucked about with other things. I never even tested to see if they were done. Apparently there is a wide margin for goofing around.  

Red bean hamburger bun.

This is third portion of the dough prepared earlier for the pizza and for the baguette. The dough was one day old then, it is three days old now. It looked to me to be enough for two hamburger buns but after they were baked I saw there could have been at least three. So that is quite a lot of utility for one simple batch  of careless dough. Two cups of water and three rounded packed cups of unsifted flour and a very loose scraping together. No real mixing involved starting out.

The dough was hardly kneaded at all back then and that showed in the baguette's crumb. Tsk. They wouldn't like that at the bakery college but it did make very nice sandwiches. So I kneaded this last portion now to make up for my sloven past, and to prove I mean it I gave this third and last portion a boost of flavorful and nutritious bean sludge. I discovered that yeast likes beans and that beans perform very well in bread. I learned this by adding leftover bean dip to bread dough expecting the worst but getting very good results by surprise. These beans here were processed to powder and added to hot water and then boiled for seconds which formed a paste that was spread over the dough then rolled and then thoroughly mixed in and kneaded. It is a very soft dough.

Apologies for the huge file size, but it is nineteen photos in a stack.


1. cold aged dough
2. red beans
3. red bean to powder
4. powder mixed with hot water
5. powder water zapped again to boiling
6. aged dough turned out
7. dough covered with bean paste
8. flattened dough rolled up
9. dough roll stretched
10. dough roll folded
11. dough roll compressed
12 dough roll stretched again
13. dough roll folded again
14. dough roll compressed again
15. dough kneaded
16. dough divided
17. dough transferred to baking tray and covered (not shown)
18. hamburger buns risen
19. hamburger buns baked. 

Would you prefer better pictures

That is it for the hamburger bun. The hamburger is 95% lean which is way way WAY too lean for me but it was on sale, so I added as much olive oil as the ground beef would hold. 

Does that sound odd? 

The thing is, I just experienced a sudden weight loss. Three belt notches, if that means anything. My pants are hanging by the cuffs arranged by waist size on a pole running the length of a walk-in closet. There are a lot of pants hanging in there and more on the shelf above. If the pants were piano keys then the last month would be like playing the scales down the line of waist sizes to the very end. Plink plink ... plink.  Last week I weighed at college-level weight, which is the time when I stopped growing in height and where my present-day pants waists end hanging on the closet pole.  Yesterday I dropped to just above High School weight which is alarming because I grew two inches after High School. And that was weighing myself yesterday sopping wet, I just stepped out of the bath. I do not have any High School weight level pants around here. I wear the smallest waist pants sold in men's shops and tuck in two layers of shirt. It sounds insane when I say it but I am down to size 30 waist /36 length. Soon it will be 29/36. Do you realize what that looks like? When I sit on my wallet I tip to one side as if sitting with one side on a brick. The backside is gone as far as I can tell. Now it is just loose baggy pants seat back there. I kept wondering what all that folded fabric is that I am sitting on. It was so annoying. Now it's pathetic. So something has got to give. I want that weight back, it took my whole life to earn it. 

I resolve to stop this downward trend and reverse it.  

The hamburger is large. I already ate half of it and I am going to eat the rest of this thing if takes all night. 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

"When I sit on my wallet I tip to one side as if sitting with one side on a brick." This sentence made me laugh out loud! Thank You. Um, maybe eat a whole mess of pasta 3-4 times daily. Just day dreaming about pasta does the trick for me!

Blog Archive