Zócalo, Denver


Zócalo, the English cognitive is socle. A socle is an architectural plinth that supports a pedestal or a column or some kind of sculpture. A plinth is a block or a square, a base or a platform for column or for a wall. El Zócalo is the alternate name for Plaza de la Constitution. You see, it is a square and it is in the center of town and it supports metaphorically the whole city. Or something. I don't know. What am I, an anthropological etymologist? 

The food came to us after ordering nearly immediately, few other people were there between shifts on this utterly frozen mid January day, and the meals were exactly what you would expect, and I mean exactly. 

Except different. The pico de gallo is slightly different, and John said that so is the mole. ¡Olé!

My combo,  ↑ and ↓↓,  relleno, burrito, taco.  "E" on their menu. The relleno is just the way I like 'em -- as if they were egg rolls. That is the way that I learned them so that is the way that I like them even though they are wrong wrong wrong. They are so wrong that they twist upon themselves in wrongness. So wrong wrong wrong that they actually become right. But it's good to have a real one once in awhile to stay connected.

John and the waiter joked that I was playing around too long. John dug in and there I was still moving my plate all around and peering at it through a viewfinder and lens, and indeed, my taco fell apart by the time I got around to it, so they were right. 



This was my first effort to recover lost weight. 

This restaurant is a block from my home and around the corner. I had no idea what they did there. I was glad to learn they serve this fattening stuff. I'll be back there to pack it on. You know, if you need to gain weight, I believe this is probably a good way to go. 

Now that I am having a close look at that melted cheese up there ↑ I am starting to feel a little bit dodgy. I keep seeing imaginary restaurant-size bags of pre-shredded near-cheese. Oh no. 

John's enchiladas, rice, beans ↓. 



No comments:

Blog Archive