Napa cabbage cole slaw



With one red bell pepper, two carrots, a handful of raisins, a handful of pecans broken and heated for a minute, mayonnaise made with two whole eggs which caused it to be runny so it was heated in seven-second pulses and whipped between heatings to 150℉ / 65℃ whereupon it thickens. The mayonnaise included 1/2 cup vegetable oil (frankly, I don't like that stuff. It seems fake. Canola oil ,rapeseed, is the worst. Nine out of ten new-wave type nutritional freaks agree. <--- I might have made that up.), two tablespoons cider vinegar (I bought a jug to do windows. Turns out, you can eat it! Tastes a little bit like apples except sour. Rice vinegar is a lot better.), one tablespoon yellow French's mustard. (kind of gross), 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger, 1/2 teaspoon smashed garlic, one tablespoon sugar, two tablespoons sake just for the heck of it. Since the mayonnaise was heated I can now store it for longer, up to a week. It was hot so I put the jar in the freezer so it wouldn't wilt the cabbage. The carrot was shredded on that little Japanese shredding thingie.  It's a pain in the butt, but it does a decent job. 

I never cared for cole slaw because I always had it with that bitter cabbage. I do not understand the attachment or the loyalty to that cabbage.  This cole slaw is a lot better than that so now I changed my opinion. It could take some other interesting things too, like apple or orange, dried cranberries, maybe peaches or something. Grapes. Leeks. Tamarind. Jícama. You know what? I'm going to go through the vegetable aisle and pick up something that I don't know what it is and try it in this cole slaw. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Use macadamia nut oil instead of canola. Much tastier and better for your health too.

Blog Archive