Sourdough buns

sourdough starter from refrigerator



hydrated with equal weight of water



heat from stove channeled to jar on counter



eight hours later the starter is rejuvenated.






                                                  

one tablespoon rejuvenated starter begins a new batch



8 hours later 1 tablespoon water added + flour to double



8 hours later 2 tablespoons water added + flour to double



8 hours later 1/4 cup water added + flour to double


this is the top view 


8 hours later 1/2 cup water added + flour to double


this is the top view


8 hours later 1 cup water added + flour to double



8 hours of proofing the sponge looked like this



flour is added in increments until the sponge becomes a sticky dough



the dough is divided into  3oz segments and formed into tiny pillows using the stretch method, folded in thirds, twice, then pinched to seal the edges.



six hours later the buns were painted with egg wash and baked



They flattened more than I had hoped. Therefore they are now officially hamburger buns and not dinner rolls. They are not as tangy as the first batch that impressed me so much. Therefore I will not bother with this method again of painstakingly building up from nearly nothing, keeping a dedicated schedule at all hours of the morning. That's nonsense.

I cannot believe I forgot to add salt. My only excuse is that I got up at 4:00 in the morning just to see to the dough. I suddenly recall Anthony Bourdain writing in Kitchen Confidential about a bread baker of whom he was attached and greatly impressed referring to his gigantic glob of sourdough sponge as "the bitch" for exactly that reason.  Hahahahah. That kills me. Now I must add salt onto each bun individually. Not so bad, really, but how stupid can I be?

I'm a little tired of these sourdoughs not performing properly. Next time I'll use the cloches. I have three of them. Might as well put them to use. It'll be kind of tricky dropping wet dough for 3 or 4 individual buns into screeching hot covered clay containers in series, but I do think it can be done. That's one way to force them into the behavior I seek. We'll see. 

No comments:

Blog Archive