Sandwich, ham and cheese, sourdough hotdog bun


This sandwich is small but it is simply the best sandwich I have ever tasted. FACT. It totally beats anything I've ever had from any deli in any city and completely creams all the sandwiches I've had from Subway, and I've had some good ones. There is something about the homemade sourdough in combination with the homemade mayonnaise that elevates this sandwich so high nothing else can come close to it.

It also has slices of a great cheese but that's a lesser taste element. The ham is common deli ham. I got smoke house ham this time for a break from honey ham and Black Forest, which are also both very good. I wonder now if its small size has anything to do with its greatness. Would the sandwich be as spectacular if it were bigger? I was thinking the whole time I was scarfing it, "Oh no, a few more bites and it's gone. I should have made two." 

But then I would have been a pig, and, the good Lord permitting, there is tomorrow. 

This sandwich right here divided into fourths or possibly fifths and held together with toothpicks would make the most insanely delicious hors d'oeuvre imaginable that nobody, and I mean NOBODY could duplicate. So delicious it would shock anyone expecting an ordinary ham sandwich canape. I'd be cheered by my peers. Well, I already am, but this would reaffirm that status and enhance the mystery surrounding my mad skillz so incomprehensible to ordinary blokes. That seals it. The next party I go to I'll take a tray of these even if I am not asked, and I'll keep this in mind for the next gatherings I host. The thing is, I must remember to start the bread three days in advance to slowly build up a few cups of dough from a mere teaspoon of starter in order to ensure a steady series of reliable proofs and a partial fermentation. The result is a mind blower, I tell you. I'll also be sure to use this same Northwest starter because I am not so certain the other starters will be this fantastic.

Yes, I do know for certain. They're all fantastic.

No comments:

Blog Archive