Angus hamburger dinner



My friend said this is the part he objects to -- dust everywhere. I agree. It is a mess that must be managed. He's against the whole thing. 

It really does get everywhere. 








A friend stopped by yesterday and we made this instead of stepping out. We both had exactly the same thing tacked together in minutes from various pieces mostly leftovers. We sat down and my friend scarfed this meal, and I mean scarfed it, without a word. He finished when I had hardly started and I'm sitting there thinking, Jeeze, can't you pace yourself?

The hamburger is Angus that was on sale. You know how things go a little old and they want to push it out so they mark it down and toss it in the discount corner. I love that. That's what this is. My friend said it was the most delicious hamburger he has ever tasted.

Really?

I think that was the bean juice getting on it. The bean liquid altered everything it touched, and it touched everything else on the plate. It combined with the oil and rice vinegar that dressed the vegetables and it combined with the juice from the hamburger. It became like a magical transformative liquid. Likewise, the rice vinegar touched the beans and brightened them perfectly. My friend was amazed. He could not believe a veritable feast could be produced in minutes from scraps. 

That was last night. But this is today. 

I did not mess around with photography last night because my friend was here and I sensed he's not into that sort of thing, the patience required and all that so I blew it off. But the meal is so delicious I made it again today. That was then and this is now. 

I mention all that only because this friend saw what was becoming of the levain and showed an interest in that. He wanted to see what would happen when the levain is fried. This was unusual for him to show an interest so I allowed it even though I could see his experiment was doomed and it messed up what I had going on. I thought it was good for him to see that for himself, and the failure would show what is possible and how it might be fixed. This meal today does that same thing except an actual tortilla is fashioned in the way of an ordinary flour tortilla but with this natural levain. Since it is flattened and its yeast portion useless, it is leavened with baking powder the same as an ordinary tortilla. I was interested in the flavor property of the sourdough not the leavening property, that would have taken too much time, several hours. 

No comments:

Blog Archive