Ham and eggs, potato cakes, sourdough toast




 Crisp and crunchy on the outside, light and fluffy potato on the inside.

How is this possible? 

It's a trick. The magician is simply controlling dampness, degree of processing, oil temperature, starch content, cohesion, texture, leaven agents if any, and flavors, that's all. 

If you want crisp outside and fluff inside then the potato must be dry as possible. This potato was parboiled and drained and tamped dry. The potatoes and remaining moisture was still sticky. I used my own dry sourdough breadcrumbs and as little flour as possible. That was all. I considered using egg and then considered using whipped egg white. Either one would have increased cohesion. I also used baking powder in half the amount usually suggested when it is suggested. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your eggs are always perfectly cooked and amazing looking!

Chip Ahoy said...

I trimmed them to show the potato.

Blog Archive