Potato, hamburger, cannellini beans






That's it for the cannellini beans, and boy am I going to miss them. They were so good. I liked putting them on and with nearly everything, and they're great by themselves.

And I am really liking the idea of doing potatoes this way. Spice and butter first into a hot pan then liquids including a lightly salted stock. A single small Yukon Gold potato is sliced directly into the boiling liquid. The potato sloughs starch and the liquid thickens as the potatoes cook down. 

The liquid stands well on its own and curiously by happenstance combines well with other adjoining liquids. There hasn't been a failure combination yet because they are all composed of similar and complimentary elements. The whole deal with this 5LB sack of potatoes has been quite interesting. I'm forcing myself to have one every day, even a small unworthy potato just to have one each day, and that has led to some very interesting discoveries. I took one sip of this sauce when it was in progress and I could not have imagined a more comforting comfort food. 

Now, I see these people on the competitions fail because they failed with their sauce and I'm over here thinking, "Jeeze, get it together already." They are running around searching for things to jazz up their odd ingredient and I am watching as the judges are watching, and the judges are imagining as I am imagining how to break out that odd ingredient and find a liaison with reasonable things, and I am yelling at the teevee for the competitor to notice the reliable things that always work,

"Butter!  Wine! " 

They scramble like maniacs around an unfamiliar pantry and pass up the 

"Honey!  Lemon!  Mustard!"

As usual, Parker and Stone use satire to perfectly nail this ridiculous unnecessary panic scrambling. 

All the familiar basic instant sauce type elements that would assure a placement if not a win and the competitors go out of their minds for some bizarre inspiration to hit them in their moment of high panic, while the clock runs out, and it doesn't hit them, and they lose. And I'm over here going, "Yes! You lose, you loser from Loserville. Because I know how simple it is to calmly produce a sauce out of basic elements that will knock your pants right off. 



No comments:

Blog Archive