Rump roast


The guy at the meat counter changed what I intended to do with this. I asked him what he would do with such a thing and he grinned apparently pleased that someone would ask and he described this. He asked me if I had a meat thermometer. Butcher, please. Being agreeable I said, "yes". Then I go, "Dude, you just changed my whole plan," and he grinned even more broadly. 













So there is that.

It was a real pleasure meeting so many beautiful and helpful women today. They rushed to open doors for me, one even in dangerous heels. I mentioned that and she said, yes it is a practiced skill. The door thing happened three times. 

Maybe it's my new haircut. It is that windblown tossed and tumbled carefree look that hairdressers think, "hmmm that looks like  hours to achieve, but it really is tossed and carefree, and my general appearance sometimes evokes the thought in some women, "he needs my help."

Another very attractive woman in my building saw me dealing with bags and asked if I needed help to my door and I was thinking in that moment of the elevator doors closing that I didn't really need any help but that sure was sweet for her to consider interrupting her own plan like that, and anything at all for an opening to converse more with her and get to know her more and even a chance to have her inside my apartment if only briefly. I find sometimes women are curious how the other half lives and that leads to a longer visit which is fine with me. So those thoughts flashed through in that moment and my mouth automatically spoke the word, "yes."

Nothing came of it immediately, but still.  Yesterday I was crossing Broadway at rush hour. Cars and trucks were lined up to my left, their engines revving for the light to change like horses eager at the gate. I haven't counted the lanes but there are a lot of them. They're real big on trucks around here, I have one. The street is made wavy by the troughs formed from heavy traffic, I was negotiating my steps and I was negotiating the people rushing in both directions to get to the other side before the lights changed. No dilly dallying on these corners, it's all business out there, then right there in the middle of the busy crosswalk with mere lights holding back traffic that could mow us all down, a woman's voice chirped, "Hello, Chip!" 

Yet another beautiful woman was helpful with boxes. I gave her a pop-up book a while ago for her son and ever since she's been treating me pretty much like royalty, or at least like a very good friend. It was an impressive book but not that impressive, and she is married anyway, but still, it was fun being around so many pleasant people in a series of charming interactions one after another like that.  

No comments:

Blog Archive