Fried chicken

At first I was like ...



And then I was like ...





And finally I was all like ...


Buttermilk. Big thick fat heavy buttermilk. Covered the raw chicken like a cold wet quilt. Overnight. Then the next morning I noticed some parts were sticking up so I added water. Probably should have diluted with milk but I didn't think of it. It soaked completely covered for a few more hours. It only really needed a few hours total so this whole thing was complete overkill. 

Seasoned flour.

When it comes time to fry, then double dip from buttermilk to flour. This is a heavy coating. 

Heavy covered cast iron pan. Shallow fry for 45 minutes, adjust heat accordingly, turn once, partially remove lid to allow steam to escape for last 10 minutes at least. 

All the pieces do not have to be covered in oil. A hot oily atmosphere develops inside the heavy cast iron pan that fries the chicken and its coating even though it is not directly touching the oil. Moisture drips back into the oil which helps with this at first but must be let out before the chicken is finished.  That's how I did it anyway. 

No comments:

Blog Archive