Heirloom tomato, sourdough bread









Bread.

I suspected I might be disappointed in the bread because I think their idea of sourdough is something made with a starter and not an especially flavorful one at that. The dough was not slowed in cold storage for any length of time that would make a difference, a period of fermentation that would develop the flavor.

That is all I have to say, the rest is anecdote.  

Real sourdough is not that marketable so the whole thing is toned way down. Were this a liquid it would be a very weak beer.  

Bread dough does develop significantly over time, even bread dough from commercial yeast bread does, but this bread here has not had that time so it makes little difference which leaven started it, a single cloned organism as commercial yeast, or natural organisms of so called sourdoughs. 

I made this mistake of ignoring cold storage for years before I realized the longer  the dough is held before baking it the stronger it became so now my own sourdoughs are held for three days and are quite strong by comparison to everything else I've tasted. They'll blow you away if you are not ready for it and I love that about them. That is my normal. This bread here does not taste any different than my own bread started with a trace of commercial yeast and developed very slowly overnight. Even that bread has more flavor than this bread has.

Having said all that, it it is excellent bread. I bought it because it was the same price as ordinary regular foam-bread already sliced. During that earlier period before I discovered the joy of dough retardation for extended fermentation I was feeling disappointed about my bread being insufficiently developed although they were splendid loaves otherwise and I asked my family about this, who were gathered for dinner and had both kinds, their puffy foam-bread and my excellent but undeveloped  sourdough,  to see if they could tell the difference and my niece and nephews who are all Wonder bread kind of kids all responded unanimously, "yes." 

No comments:

Blog Archive