Mashed potato, chicken gravy, sourdough bread





ARTS !

Well, there you have it -- my sourdough bread kicks the living poop out of Whole Foods sourdough bread because theirs is made to appeal to everybody and mine is made to appeal to me.

And that is on the first try without even knowing the unique characteristics of this culture. I don't know where it came from, its metabolism speed, its flavor, its crumb or crust, its strengths and weaknesses, or anything at all about it. All of that comes with handling it further and observing what it does. 

The flour is King Arthur's flour for bread. It is old, its texture is odd and I do not care for it. Its higher protein produces a more complete and even gluten network that is too industrial. It is closer in texture to a synthetic sponge and I strongly prefer a more open crumb created by uneven internal bubbles.  So, it's off to get another 25 LB of my favorite all purpose flour milled from mixed sources, parts unknown. 

No comments:

Blog Archive