Baked apple, ice cream




A crème anglaise is chilled to near freezing and churned in an ice cream machine to incorporate air and then frozen hard, which sounds more complicated than it is. This churning can be done by children tossing around a toy ball.

A yummy oatmeal topping with butter and brown sugar and cinnamon is inserted between layers of sliced apple, an alternative to gouging out the core and filling the vacancy. 

* apple
* butter
* brown sugar
* cinnamon
* oatmeal
* raisins
* ice cream
* tiny amount of salt
* and a trace of powdered clove to fake myself out by forgetting I did that and then later going, "what?" 

With ingredients like this it would be hard to go wrong. [deleted 3 paragraphs about how to go wrong]

My brother showed me this when he was in the second grade and I was in the first grade. He was nearly two years older than I but we were one school year apart due to birthday dates, he was always on the older end of his class and I was always on the younger end of mine. All of this is relevant to pretty much everything. My older brother, who showed me the world,  led me to a copse and started a fire to cook a few apples, a plan he had prepared in advance without revealing any details. He had everything he needed, knife (!) matches (!) aluminum foil (?) he was truly brilliant that way. He deftly prepared the apples and demonstrated responsible knife safety handling techniques, he started a fire and managed it, he simply tossed the apples into the flames. At eight years old or so he was a terrible cook but an impressive survivalist. 

The people who owned the property could see the smoke rising up from the copse but we did not know that. They hastened one of their sons out from the house to investigate. He busted us there right there with our  fire and I nearly pissed myself with fear. It was like Sasquatch suddenly booming in on us demanding explanations all over the place. My brother comported himself very well, I thought. He explained reasonably what we were doing and showed him our apples. My brother even brought butter and had already cooked the apples to wrinkly soft hot steamy goodness. I just now remembered, that is where we got the apples, right there in the trees. The fellow seemed impressed possibly even amused but he chased us off. That baked apple incident was planed in advance but I was taking it in moment by moment as it developed and of course it developed along the lines thought up by my brother and that is how my brother kept me in a continuous state of amazement, by always being one or two steps in advance of me and always more adventurous. 

Nine additional photos 

Start again here ↘ 

Is this four egg yolks or three?


It's hard to tell.
I counted four and the anglaise turned out too thin.
The two on the bottom came out together from one egg so they started out as three. 

Maths!

Mexican vanilla beans


They're actually black but I lightened the images so it shows.




 1 pint heavy cream
 1 pint milk
egg yolks 
vanilla
sugar
salt

dump it all and heat method
no egg tempering and no straining


Missing churning photos would go here. Too bad, they were really 
beautiful too. They were the most beautiful pictures I ever took. 



No comments:

Blog Archive