Vanilla wafers




I loved vanilla wafers when I was a kid. I think because they are bland. 

Plus, they go with banana pudding that has banana slices in it. Banana slices and these cookies in the banana pudding inside a pie shell. Bland with bland in bland in bland somehow makes for an exciting pie. This is how I regarded these things as a child. 

* butter
* twice as much sugar as butter
* twice as much flour as  the above
* salt sufficient for all the above
* vanilla equal to 1 tablespoon per cup of flour, this is quite a lot. 
* baking powder equivalent to 1 teaspoon per cup of flour used

That's it.

But now I cannot leave well enough alone, and why should I? 

* powdered ginger
* cinnamon
* mace

Method: I don't know if this is useful or not. What the heck. 

* whip the butter with the sugar until it becomes a little creamy.
* add egg and whip more.
* sift dry ingredients together and mix in thirds by hand. Avoid developing the gluten. 
* use teaspoon to spoon onto prepared baking sheet. I use Silpat, sometimes parchment, or spray aluminum foil. 

400 ℉ for 10 minutes mid upper rack. 

No comments:

Blog Archive