Ciabatta, tomato sandwich

The authentic ciabatta has polish, half the dough started the night before, but this does not do that. This is fast ciabatta verisimilitude because I am American and Homey ain't got time fo dat. And being American I cannot fully appreciate the difference between aged and un-aged dough because of all that Wonderbread™ that preceded it.

Joking. Big difference. This is regular bread sort of in the shape of ciabatta, a little bit but with none of the autenticidad. Plus I used high protein bread flour.






Shaggy dough.

The water was measured to 1.5 cups.

100% hydration would be three cups of flour. 

This took 3.5 cups flour for a fairly wet sticky dough.

The dough has sugar and salt and olive oil in it.

See, I just stopped adding flour when the dough was still wet and I stood there and stirred it for a minute. That is all the actual kneading that the dough got.


The risen dough is tapped down with the fingertips sort of like spreading dough for a pizza. In this manner I try to get a rectangular shape and then stretch it and fold it again.



Risen again, and quickly too, the smoothness indicates the high protein flour is developing faster than usual. Usually I'd do this N/S/E/W thing again a few more times in the bowl to develop the gluten but this time I am dividing the dough and doing the folding differently to try to get a rectangular shape, and then fold it.




Risen too large, Sarge. Instead of baking these I'll press them down again with my fingertips like a pizza and try to get a rectangular shape and then fold it.



Oops. Too big again. That means it is too airy inside. Press down again with my fingertips to flatten the dough and to stretch it into a rectangular shape and then fold it. Again.



Now I am set. I can make a tomato sandwich, or a BLT that is mostly tomato, or an avocado and tomato sandwich with extra tomato, or a guacamole sandwich with additional tomato, or a roast beef sandwich with the roast beef switched out to make room for more tomato. 






No comments:

Blog Archive