Takara mirin and Sho Chiku Bai sake



These two ingredients are common in Asian cooking but give American home cooks some trouble attaining. Not all sake is great for cooking and not all mirin is created equally. Some is sweet, some simply tastes horrible, some companies try while others are just rip-offs. What is an American cook with no knowledge on this attained by osmosis to do? Huh? We don't even know what is a good one and what is a bad one. We're helpless.

I recall being impressed with the presentation box at the time and I thought it would make a great gift just because of that. 

For any cook that I know who would like to experiment here and there with other ingredients. 

Here's the thing. The two elements are quite inexpensive. All together the three bottles are $20.00. That is overpriced but still worth it. Independently you can find these things cheaper than that. 

Shipping is another $20.00 so that is $40.00 total, much overpriced, but I say it is still worth it especially as a gift and especially with thoughtful gift presentation. The presentation is just so cool, especially for a woman. The presentation alone is enough to engage them to try it with some level of enthusiasm. Presentation works.

But this presentation is not impressive.

It protects impressively but it lacks that Japanese touch that I recall that made it so interesting the first time. I think that I am recalling this accurately. I was bummed out by this presentation this time so now I am readjusting my plans for this item as gift but only for more serious cook types and that really narrows it down. I won't do it for fun. Instead I'll do it only if they are trying to up their game.  

No comments:

Blog Archive