Commercial yeast bread


Bread again. Bread, pasta, bread, pasta, bread, pasta, sensing a pattern? 

The thing is when my friend came over right after the thing at the new museum that's on the other side of me from the old new museum, the bread was still warm but no longer crackling, and he ate half of it. So I only had a few baguette-like discs. 

Therefore the replacement will be half again as big. And it will not be baked in a cloche. Instead, it will be baked like the dinner rolls are baked, as if it were one huge dinner roll. Wet dough. High heat. Steam. 

That earlier baguette was one cup of water and two cups of flour. 

This one will be one + one half cups water and 3 cups flour. 


Now I remember what I did. Lots of caraway seed. A ridiculously undisciplined lot of caraway seeds. And a lot of fennel seed too. Plus black pepper. Plus sea salt.

I am disappointed to report that the spice did not blast through as brilliantly as I imagined. It died in there, it seems. It does come through but it comes through all mixed together with nothing distinct that I can make out. This surprises me. Even so, the bread is delicious. 

The same thing happens with cardamon. Which, it turns out, is not related to Pokemon. Something as powerful as that, when you get to the tiny black seeds, nearly disappears entirely when they are baked. So what is the point in digging them out? When the seeds are ground up inside their husks, 98% husks and 2% tiny black seed, then the powerful flavor is already deeply muted. I learned this by having both types. 

The bread was slit to accommodate expansion but the loaf's expansion while baking exceeded its elasticity even with the slits that the loaf burst open anyway. That is the most interesting part. It exposes the chaotic folded interior belied by the relatively smooth exterior, at least organized exterior. Organized until it was blown open. 











Did I say relatively smooth exterior back up there? 

I'm sorry. I can see now that is very wrong.



For whatever it's worth to you, this batch was processed by machine for over five minutes. That runs counter to my customary careless ways.

My bread can get fatter but it cannot get longer. Problems with the analog expression in the physical world. Mechanical limitations. Oven size, tray size, proofing box size, etc. 

No comments:

Blog Archive