Soufflé, spinach, cheese, taragon




It's a chance to suspend a few things in egg foam along with cheese. 

Eggs, milk, cheese, it's hard to go wrong. 









All of that was preparation ↑ and now the action starts ↓.

A sauce is prepared. A simple Béchamel. A flavorful sauce but not too flavorful, and thin enough to accept two additional egg yolks. A meringue is also prepared. 

So now the thinking splits between this sauce and the egg white meringue foam. You can only do one thing at a time so pick one, meringue or Béchamel, and do either one first. Then get right to the one you didn't pick.  

The third step is to unite them. The relatively heavy sauce incorporated into airy-light egg-white foam in stages. 1/3 of the foam is stirred into the sauce to lighten it and bring its density closer to the remaining foam. Then the additional ingredients, the grated gruyere cheese and the scallions, along with the lightened sauce are  folded into the remaining egg white foam and turned into prepared baking dishes. 



And I forgot to preheat the oven. 

I learned that doesn't matter. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Last time I baked a soufflé, by the time I had my camera set up, it fell to half its size. Yours is beautiful, congratulations!

Chip Ahoy said...

That happened to me before too.

The next time I opened the oven door and took the photo before removing the dish. So the ugly oven is the background.

This time I set up the shot in advance near the oven and using another similar container to focus on the expected height. Opened the oven door, switched the containers and immediately shot the photo with remote without even looking through the viewfinder. Then continued shooting as the souffle collapsed. So I got at least one shot at full height. I think I did not use that shot.

Blog Archive