Red bean chili with banana, cornbread made in a pot


Normally baked beans would be started with pork, salt pork, bacon or pancetta or sausage or the like but this is made with ground beef and pork with the type of spices that go into some types of sausages. Somewhere in Sausageland. I'm imagining. 

Dry beans and three types of chile peppers for chile-layering. There is a good deal of flavorful heat here but the severity is mitigated by sugar and by the mole asses. 

Sorry, I meant to say molasses

One tablespoon of molasses.  

The molasses and tinned tomato were added near the end so that their acids do not toughen the surfaces of the individual beans making it impossible for them to ever fully soften no matter how long they are cooked. It does that. This tendency of botanics with chemistry and physics is countervailed only by our deep steeping in the arcane ARTS and in alchemy.  Plus it's all over the internet. 

This toughening that acid does to beans as they first cook it also does to starchy potatoes. That is useful to know for making French fries, crisps, and potato chips, even hash browns.

The pork is from the same small roast already shown. About 4 oz processed in a miniature processor.  4 oz of hamburger processed further the same way.


The fuzzy stuff is sage. I wanted my sausage to have sage. The sticks are probably sage too. 







Did I mention cornbread?  This is my smallest serviceable pot. 

It's incredibly easy and it is delicious. I put fast-bread things together along with dent popcorn that was processed to powder. I heard that cornbread-making people start with a preheated cast iron pan so I used a small Magnalite pot which is similar. It worked very well, I think.

My cornbread would be rejected by purists and by the Cornbreadites. Mine is too light and too sweet to be classified among the traditional cornbread models, but I like mine better. 

Oh. The banana in the chili was not cooked. It was added uncooked at the very end even after the tomatoes and molasses. 

No comments:

Blog Archive