Hummus sandwich, pita bread



Homemade hummus. Homemade flatbread. I love soaking dried beans and watching them swell but I didn't do that this time. Canned chickpeas. How's that for L- A -Z- Y ? I'm afraid I didn't drain them enough. That was stupid. I remember reading in a recipe to use some of the liquid in the can so I did. Won't do that again. I didn't have proper hummus spice, sumac, which confounds me because I remember buying it specifically and I couldn't have possibly used it all already. I think CIA goons are sneaking in here when I'm sleeping and stealing my sumac, and by CIA I mean Culinary Institute of America. But I'm on to them now! I'm going to start hiding my spices and locking them up like a crackpot conspiracy person. So I used za'atar instead, which for some reason the CIA goons have no interest in stealing. I think I pictured hummus making before and I'm kind of bored photographing it so the only thing I shot was flavoring the olive oil with garlic and simultaneously knocking the edge off the garlic by cooking it.

Hummus

* 1 can of chickpeas, drained
* couple tablespoons olive oil
* 2 crushed garlic cloves
* 1/2 juicy lime
* (see? oil+lime = salad dressing)
* full teaspoon za'atar (a favorite Middle East combination -- thyme, oregano, marjoram, toasted sesame seeds, sometimes others; coriander, savory, fennel, cumin)
* 1/2 teaspoon cumin
* full teaspoon coriander
* 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
* S/P
EDIT: Oh! Tahini. About 1/2 cup. I was going for half the amount of chickpeas. Originally I intended to brown a pile of sesame seeds I got from Whole Foods bulk bins, but then I realized I already have a jar of tahini that needs to go, so I used it.

Flatbread

* 1/2 cup water aprox 110℉ / 43℃ (anything under 120℉ / 49℃)
* 1/2 teaspoon commercial yeast
* aprox 1 cup flour, whatever it takes to form a stiff dough. In this case 50% whole wheat (commercial) 50% white flour for bread, but honestly, it could be any type you wish.
* 1 full tablespoon summer savory because I'd like to get rid of it.








No comments:

Blog Archive