Spaghetti sandwich on homemade bread


This is leftover from dinner last night. 

Refrigerated. That's Latin for "again friger ate." 


Meanwhile bread is started casually as can be. 

1.25 cups purified, filtered, Rocky Mountain fresh water straight from the continental divide that you can actually see right from my apartment balcony. Come on, Man, that's exactly like the Coors commercials. 

Except when you go to the Coors brewery in Golden Colorado, right straight up 6th Ave, right there, hop over to 6th, zoom out to the foothills, right at the spot where the highway goes into the foothills, ye gods, that place is so incredibly nakedly functionally brutalist. Ugly as straight up hell. If I recall this correctly, to enter the facility you walk alongside a cement block slurry for water apparently rushing into the building, dark and foreboding and not at all like clear mountain water. I recall zero charm.

You expect at least a fake out mountain stream. People put those in their back yards. But not Coors. 

You wouldn't drink mountain stream water anyway without your LifeStraw purifier. 


Shaggy dough started carelessly at night with scant 1/4 teaspoon dry yeast and 1.25 teaspoons sea salt. 

I just cut it with a knife and pushed the pieces around in the flour until all the flour is absorbed. Then adjusted with additional flour three times to get the desired dryness, while counting the cupfuls to ensure I don't do anything ridiculous. Double the cups of flour to water. Thereabout.

The next day ↓ kaboom. It lives. 



Four edges are pulled up from the bottom and folded over the top creating a new wrap-around layer. The bowl turned 90°, the dough pulled out the same way again and folded on top again like playing Patty-cake with the dough. 

It rises again ↓.


Folded again ↑.

It rises again ↓. 


Here is where this multiply-folded dough is interesting. Its crosshatched molecular construction does not like to be stretched out. I need the dough to be longer than a ball so that it fits into a pre-heated clay cloche shaped for a baguette, not for a boule. 

The dough will not elongate.








I love the way the loaf is like a balloon.








I had planned to toast the bread with butter and garlic but then with the bread straight out of the oven I favored the freshly baked bread over toasting it. Bread so fresh that I had to actually wait for it to cool down a bit before I could cut it, but I did not wait the full time. Do I look like a crazy person over here who patiently waits the full time? No. I cut into the freshly baked bread soon as I could. Like everyone else does.

No comments:

Blog Archive