Ground beef enchiladas

 


This is three enchiladas in a pie dish. 

* With a ton extra wrong kind of cheeses.

* You make the sauce.

* You make the filling.

* You grate the cheeses.

* You go, "Here we go" and coat your corn tortillas with oil, brush it on or rub it on or pour it on and rub it on, and then microwave them for twenty seconds. Or do this the way they did before microwaves. Now they are floppy and rollable without tearing. Dip them one-by-one into your sauce. Coat them both sides. Slather it on. Now they are barely holding together. The whole point of this is to permeate your casserole with the flavor corn tortilla chips. The filling is rudimentary and Americanized. The cheese is inappropriate. The same ingredients and spices go into the sauce as go into the meat filling. 

Guess which ones.

Come on, guess. 

Come on, be a sport. Guess.

GUESS, I SAID!

Okay fine; onion, garlic, chile powder, cumin, salt/pepper, and a teeny-tiny bit of cinnamon in the sauce and a teeny-tiny bit of Mexican oregano in the filling. Ta-daa, simple as can be.

Sauce starts with typical roux. Everyone else uses oil as they do in New Orleans, I use butter because I am different, I am better, I am American, and I just don't care, and I adore cows and I love milk and I use cream all the time and the very best butter while I don't actually know what a safflower is. I'd have to look that one up. And I don't feel like it right now. See how we are? We ruin everything.

None of the people in any of the videos I saw put real chiles in their filling. What's wrong with everyone? Huh? Must I be the tower of reason and sanity shining my light upon a troubled sea of mass confusion and abject omission?  Hmm?

5 comments:

brio said...

???? Using a White lady as a source on how to make enchiladas? At least lower yourself to use Rick Bayless (although I am not a Bayless fan).

When I need a recipe reference for Mexican cooking, I use this channel:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fdu_dHLwY_I

BTW: Using flour tortillas for enchiladas? Those are smothered burritos, not enchiladas.

I’m all for adapting recipes, as you often do, but using flour tortillas probably has my grandmother rolling in her grave.

Chip Ahoy said...

These are corn tortillas. Now I got a million of them in one package and I only needed three.

Sorry for not showing anything. The camera was right there next to me on a tripod and I thought about it several times as I went but my hands were messy and I was too lazy to go through the paces tonight.

The only time I did this before was with chicken. And a whole pile of them. Usually with cream of chicken soup. Or maybe cream of mushroom. Something inauthentic.

[I also have flour tortillas right now, big ones for burritos, two shopping trips in a row which is unusual. Those do not get all eaten either]

I am LOADED with flour and corn tortillas right now and I am afraid that they will be wasted.

I watched a bunch of videos on ground beef enchiladas today, I must say, the ones I saw are not muy authentico. Which suited me just fine. I wanted something simple. This is it.

Thank you for your suggestions. There are a few Mexican women I follow, I like their whole production and style, but their enchiladas are all chicken.

I watched a Rick Bayless video two days ago. Started to. His television show is quite nicely produced, written, directed, but the video I saw, omg, I thought my dad overexplained things, this video is a pure mess, undirected, unwritten, meandering, desultory loose train of thought overexplained. I couldn't take it. The opposite of his television shows. I was all, "Jesus Christ, Bayless, did you smoke a bowl before shooting, or what?"

While the Mexican girls on YouTube showing their family stuff are all just really adorable. When the children and the parents and the families get in on the act then you get glimpses of the whole family scene.

brio said...

I could tell yours were corn tortillas. My comments about flour tortillas were related to the video you posted.

Do you freeze your tortillas? I always buy corn tortillas but make my own flour tortillas. I freeze them both. It is so easy to defrost the corn ones in the MW wrapped in plastic. The flour ones defrost on the counter in a few minutes and I heat them up on a comal.

brio said...

PS: I have a vague recollection of you posting a pic of your freezer contents once. Never mind about freezing tortillas since I don’t think they would survive that catastrophe. (Hee hee)

Chip Ahoy said...

I bet tortillas would make pretty good bird food.

Blog Archive