Pork and sugar peas in flavored dashi










Corn is fascinating.

As a plant.

There are three of these. The rest was frozen as kernels. The whole time I was holding them I marveled at what the horticulturalists have done with this plant. And they are still doing it. 

The plant is a grass. The thing that I am holding is outrageous plant manipulation. And then as I prepared it to be photographed the ear seemed to me to be female. The way it's wrapped. The way silk is collected and bundled at top emanating from each individual kernel. The size of it and its weight. Its very sturdy stem and its incredibly hard core. Such a greedy plant. Grown so tall and so fast. And it tastes almost like candy.


This soup with Japanese dashi and five of the seven Chinese flavor elements listed below has incredible flavor that is pleasantly strong. Odd combining seafood and pork elements but I don't care. We're bold over here. 

The peas are old and stringy. Maybe for the rest I'll crack them all open and take out the peas.

No comments:

Blog Archive